Monday, February 6, 2012

Seattle Travel Diary

Just got back to New York after an amazing three week vacation split between Seattle and Maui (expect Maui pictures in the next post and prepare to be very jealous). When I tell people on the East Coast how much I love Seattle, the response is usually confusion and a comment along the lines of "doesn't it rain a lot there?". These people clearly have never been to Seattle. It's my second favorite American city for numerous reasons. I love the contrast of such a clean modern city surrounded by so much natural beauty. The city has an amazing (for lack of a better word) vibe. The slightly more laid back mentality is a welcome change from the fast paced lifestyle in NYC.

Another reason I'm obsessed with Seattle is because of it's flourishing holistic health movement. I mean one of the city's most famous landmarks (Pike Place) is a farmer's market! A giant farmer's market with the city on one side, and sweeping views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains on the other side. Below the farmer's market is an eclectic assortment of shops, and some of the best used books stores I've ever encountered. What's not to love?

Sometimes it can be difficult to find healthy meal options while traveling, this is not the case in Seattle! While I was there I discovered an amazing super food cafe called Healeo. It's an innovative restaurant offering an array of nutrient dense and antioxidant rich juices, smoothies, and meals. I developed an addiction to their immune power shots (lemon, cayenne, garlic), green hemp smoothies (kale, mango, banana, hemp milk), and matcha lattes (matcha, hemp milk, agave). When I say addiction, I'm not kidding, I ate at least one super food meal a day while I was in Seattle.

Another thing I ate in copious amounts while I was in Seattle were apples. Most of our apples are grown in Washington, so of course they taste best fresh! I consider myself an apple connoisseur, and I have never tasted better apples than the ones I've eaten in Seattle. Honeycrisp and Fuji are my favorites, the crunchier the better. Then of course there is the food Seattle is famous for; salmon. I rarely eat fish, and when I do it has to be fresh, local, wild, humanely caught, and of course delicious! My father is a waterman, so I have been incredibly spoiled when it comes to seafood. The salmon available in Seattle fulfills my high standards, so I indulge knowing that the omega 3 acids in salmon benefit my heart, brain, and nervous system. The abundance of fresh local produce and seafood is just another reason I love Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment