Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Angelica Kitchen

As much as I love cooking at home, sometimes there is nothing better than going out, enjoying a good meal, and letting someone else do the dishes! Recently some friends and I went out to a healthy dinner at Angelica Kitchen in the East Village. It had been on my mental list of restaurants to try for quite some time now. Every New York based health freak I know claims it’s their favorite local restaurant. Thankfully the vegan restaurant lived up to it’s reputation! Everything was delicious. Angelica Kitchen uses only organic and local ingredients, and you can taste the difference! Many of the dishes are inspired by Macriobotic philosophy, which is particularly comforting this time of year as the weather is getting colder.
I ordered the restaurant’s signature dish, called the dragon bowl. It’s a wholesome combination of squash, rice, beans, and sea vegetables. I would recommend ordering the half portion, what they call the wee dragon bowl. It was such a generous serving I can’t even imagine what the full portion would look like!
Sometimes it can be difficult to make healthy choices while eating out. I know it’s not fun having to navigate an entire menu for your healthiest option, only to end up with an expensive and flavorless salad. That is exactly why I love restaurants like Angelica Kitchen. I know I can order anything of the menu and it will be a healthy choice! On top of good food, the restaurant has a pleasantly eccentric and busy East Village vibe. It was also very reasonably priced. The total bill for the three of us (and we all ate a full meal) came to barely $35! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone living or visiting New York. I feel so fortunate to live in the East Village, where there are a plethora of health focused and innovative restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment