Monday, October 31, 2011

Chocolate Covered Dried Mangoes

Happy Halloween! For most of us the first thing that comes to mind when we think of Halloween is candy. Lots of it. This recipe is a healthy alternative to sugary processed candy. Made out of wholesome, naturally sweet,  antioxidant-rich ingredients these treats taste way better than regular candy. Plus they look cute and Halloweenish.
Mangoes are one of my all time favorite foods, which I ate a lot growing up in Hawaii. However I rarely eat them now because they obviously aren't local to New York. The mangoes available here simply can't compare to the ones I pick fresh off the tree back home. In between trips to Maui I get my mango fix from dried mangoes. Dried mangoes are high in antioxidants, fiber, potassium, iron, Vitamin C, and Vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B6. You can find dried mangoes at Whole Foods and most health food stores, just be sure to buy a brand without any added sugar or preservatives. I'm spoiled because my Mom sends me dried mangoes from my favorite health food store on Maui.
The other superfood in this recipe is raw cacao. Cacao contains more antioxidants than blueberries, red wine, or green tea. Cacao raises the levels of serotonin in the brain and acts as a natural anti-depressant. So this Halloween indulge in something sweet that will also benefit your health! I should warn you that these are delicious and highly addictive.

Ingredients:

about 15 pieces of dried mango

1 cup of dark chocolate chips

1/3 cup of pure maple syrup

1 tbsp of coconut oil

raw cacao powder

In a double boiler bring water to a simmer.
Turn off heat.
In the top pot of double boiler combine chocolate chips and maple syrup.
Allow to melt for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
When chocolate has completely melted stir in coconut oil.
Dip the dried mango into the melted chocolate.
Fill a small bowl with cacao and immediately dip the chocolate coated mango into the cacao.
Place on a piece of parchment paper.
Chill in the fridge until the chocolate is solid.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment